Friday, July 9, 2010

Initial thoughts on Red Dead Redemption

I'm the type that likes to arrive fashionably late. Keeping with that tradition I just picked up Red Dead Redemption only about a month and a half past its initial launch. So now that its in my hands, what is my first impression? Its great!

No, seriously, this game is a lot of fun. I've been playing for a couple of hours now and its really sucked me in; i just can't put the controller down. This is the western that people have been waiting for since Unforgiven, no joke.

The game play is great, the story is engaging, and the atmosphere is perfect. So far this thing is shaping up to be one of the most manly experiences I've encountered in recent memory and it does so without having to resort to absolutely ridiculous levels of juvenile violence (although it still can if that's your thing). Here is a sandbox game that feels right, a sandbox game that feels necessary.

Now that's not to say it's perfect. Trust me, there's some pretty awful stuff here and most of it is the leftovers hanging from the unkempt beard of Grand Theft Auto. The controls take some getting used to and there are some times when the game feels like its holding your hand while you cross the street. But that's all minor nitpicking, the weaknesses of the game are skirted behind the mound of epic win put on display in the foreground.

Once I put a few more hours into it and get a better understanding of all the game has to offer I'll post a proper review for those of you who care about something that is no longer on anyone's radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment