Thursday, November 4, 2010

Wait, Did I Miss Something?


Recognize this face? Well you should! He's only the most popular internet/pop-culture meme to sprout to the surface since the Star Wars Kid!

For those of you who don't know, Antoine Dodson is a man who was interviewed by his local news channel when his sister was almost raped by a trespasser in their home. When interviewed Antoine gave a surprisingly gallant and eager warning to the sex offender informing him that retaliation and justice would prevail. His energy and earnestness was so unique that the footage was leaked onto the internet where he became an overnight sensation.

Following his popularity, a Youtube group famous for using auto-tune technology with news footage created a song from Antoine's charismatic message. Within weeks the song hit the Billboard top 100 and became one of the most downloaded songs on itunes. Antoine mania was in full swing and there were no signs of it stopping. Antoine would soon be invited to the BET awards to recreate his famous performance in a live venue and shortly thereafter was used to promote new software for various iphone gadgets and tools. This is a man who stumbled upon success, a man who lived the American dream, yet with all the celebration for Antoine going on its easy to forget one minor detail of his "road to fame" story. Wasn't his sister almost raped?

I hate to be the stick in the mud, and admittedly I am not the first person to point this detail out, but this all started because his sister was sexually assaulted by some criminal sex offender. To make matters worse, the guy was never caught!

Maybe I'm projecting a little bit of myself here, but if I was Antoine Dodson's sister I would be a little agitated about this whole ordeal. Imagine for a second that you were almost a victim of rape, one of the most horrifying scenarios that could play out in a person's life, and as a result your sibling goes on to become America's sweet-heart.

News stories like this lead me to think that my apartment has been laced with some sort of hallucinogenic toxin that is slowly pouring into my veins as we speak because I honestly can't wrap my head around this. As a society we've always been a little weird and when I stand back and assess the situation I can't stand idle for long and claim that this chain of events surprises me. Still, its a little weird and I would love to read or see an interview with the sister to get some insight into her side of the story. Then again, who am I to complain? This video is hilarious!

1 comment:

  1. I hope they catch "Marty McFly" LOL

    I never heard of Antoine Dodson until I read your blog. Of course the next thing I had to do was go to youtube and check it out. My favorite was the video of Marty McFly coming in the window of what he thought was his home but of course we all know it was not his home in this time period.

    ReplyDelete