Saturday, April 30, 2011

Like a Phoenix Rising From the Ashes...

If you are a regular reader here at my blog site you are probably wondering when that new post is going to be arriving. Well, you'll be glad to know that the project is done. However, it won't be posted here.

Truth be told I haven't had much enthusiasm for writing anything to be published here in quite some time and I spent several months trying to figure out what it was that was preventing me from logging back on to post my latest opinions on the wacky world of entertainment. Without going into a long-winded emotional rant I can honestly say that I had accidentally driven this blog into a corner and wasn't very pleased with my actions.

Back in May of 2010 when I started this I wanted to do nothing more than post humorous reviews of movies, comics, and video games; the things I spend most of my disposable income on. The problem was that I've never had a lot of disposable income to be spread around so instead of being a site strictly devoted to personal subjective criticisms I expanded the idea to encompass a wide range of topics that suited the needs of my egotistical all consuming brain... in theory. The one thing I never wanted this site to become was predictable, but before I had even batted an eye I realized that I had developed a site that was slowly devolving into a miss-mash of themed topics that I could neatly file all projects into for convenience. "Favorite Fights", "Fashionably Late Reviews", "Play This", and so on. Rather than aim for that pure aesthetic of creative expressionism or dare I say "Gonzo" writing, I had simplified the whole experience into a mundane procedural assembly line production that lacked creativity and ultimately left me with almost nothing original to say.

I think I first noticed the problem around Halloween when I did that "Monster A-Go-Go" segment. I had a laundry list of things to do and the end product was nothing unique or personal; ok, maybe a little personal but nothing with any real passion. By collapsing an entire month of material towards one singular topic I had unintentionally opened Pandora's Box. Before I knew it I quickly relapsed with a follow-up during the month of December, creating yet another agonizing list of themed ideas. Surprise, surprise, this epidemic didn't end there and before long it surfaced once more in February. Sure, everything that was said were things I wanted to talk about, but the presentation was lacking. To make matters worse I had also noticed that every time I did something like this I would spend the following month in a sort of hibernation where I put forth the bare minimum of effort and only posted things to reassure my audience that I was in fact still alive and contemplating new topics; topics that would most likely fall neatly into one of the categories I had subconsciously structured my site around.

So what does this mean? Is this the end of the lovable Feudal Cactus and all of his exceptionally well crafted thoughts and ideas (In the dictionary I believe you'll see my picture next to the entry for "hubris")? Of course not! Don't be ridiculous! Unfortunately, it does mean that this site has got to go.

Out with the old and in with the new!

This will probably be the second to last post on this site (more on that towards the end of the paragraph) before I close it down and move on to bigger and better things. So before you all start panicking and pulling out your hair, let me remedy some of that stress by assuring you that a new blog is on the horizon. This new blog will be similar in focus to the original but the tone, presentation, and project goal will be different. Before I close the doors to this site for good I'll make sure to leave you with a message directing you towards the new material.

I hope the project is a smashing hit and I hope that the few viewers I have here will be kind enough to migrate with me to the new promised land. I've got my toothbrush already packed up and have put on my best adventuring shoes. Let's start over, shall we?

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see what you have up your sleeve! Tooth brush in hand I await directions to your new site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've been trying to find you for, um... since we graduated together. Please contact me so we can catch up! You are an annoying person to track down! Jeebus.

    ReplyDelete